Town Category: South Australia
Gilles Plains, South AustraliaSuburb of Adelaide, South Australia
Gilles Plains is a suburb of the greater Adelaide, South Australia area, approximately 15 km north of the Adelaide business district.
It is named after the first Colonial Treasurer Osmond Gilles who owned a sheep station adjoining the Torrens River. Gilles Plains was predominantly a hay growing area of Adelaide through its early years. In 1874, it had the largest hay farm in South Australia owned by J. A. W. Sudholz.
Gilles Plains is in both the City of Port Adelaide Enfield and City of Tea Tree Gully local government areas, and is in both the South Australian House of Assembly electoral districts of Florey and Torrens. It is also in the Australian House of Representatives Division of Sturt.
Pinnacle College is on Wandana Avenue. St Pauls College is on Grand Junction Road. Wandana Primary School is on Cowra Avenue.
- www.abs.gov.au (August 2009). "Gilles Plains Demographics". Retrieved 25 August 2009.[permanent dead link]
- Ian Auhl (August 1993). "Gilles Plains". Archived from the original on 5 June 2009. Retrieved 25 August 2009.
- Observer (September 1903). "Obituary". Archived from the original on 7 October 2009. Retrieved 1 September 2009.
- "Australian Schools Directory". Australian Schools Directory. Retrieved 15 November 2013.
No Records Found
Sorry, no records were found. Please adjust your search criteria and try again.
Google Map Not Loaded
Sorry, unable to load Google Maps API.