Town Category: Tasmania
The Friars (Tasmania)
The Friars are four steep dolerite rocks, with a combined area of about 17 ha (42 acres), in south-eastern Australia. They are part of the Actaeon Island Group, lying close to the south-eastern coast of Tasmania, at the southern entrance to the D’Entrecasteaux Channel between Bruny Island and the mainland. They form part of South Bruny National Park.
Recorded breeding seabird species are the little penguin, short-tailed shearwater, fairy prion and common diving-petrel. The metallic skink is present. Australian fur seals, and possibly New Zealand fur seals, use the rocks as a regular haul-out site.
Southern region of Tasmania, Australia
- Brothers, Nigel; Pemberton, David; Pryor, Helen; & Halley, Vanessa. (2001). Tasmania’s Offshore Islands: seabirds and other natural features. Tasmanian Museum and Art Gallery: Hobart. ISBN 0-7246-4816-X
Small Southern Islands Conservation Management Statement 2002 (PDF), Tasmania Parks and Wildlife Service, 2002, archived from the original (PDF) on 2006-08-22, retrieved 2006-07-20
- The Early History of Tasmania.By R.W.Giblin 1928, page 47
Sprod, Dan (2005). “Furneaux, Tobias (1735 – 1781)”. Australian Dictionary of Biography. Canberra: Australian National University. Retrieved 2008-05-05.
Cook, James; Furneaux, Tobias (1777), A voyage towards the South Pole, and round the world : performed in His Majesty’s ships the Resolution and Adventure, in the years 1772, 1773, 1774, and 1775, Printed for W. Strahan and T. Cadell, Chapter VII, entry for March 1773
Governance Mountains Protected areas,
parks and reserves
Rivers Harbours, bays,
inlets and estuaries
Coastal features Transport Landmarks Natural Man-made Islands Books and newspapers Flora, fauna, and fishlife Bioregions Indigenous heritage Other
No Records Found
Sorry, no records were found. Please adjust your search criteria and try again.
Google Map Not Loaded
Sorry, unable to load Google Maps API.