Town Category: Victoria
Geelong West, VictoriaFor the former local government area with the name, see City of Geelong West.Suburb of Geelong, Victoria, Australia
Geelong West is a commercial and residential suburb of Geelong, Victoria, Australia. When Geelong was founded, the area was known as Kildare but its name was changed to Geelong West in 1875. The main street is Pakington Street.
Ashby was once a suburb of Geelong located in the area of Geelong West, west of Latrobe Terrace, between Aberdeen Street and Church Street. By 1850 this area had become known as Little Scotland, and Kildare. At this point, Ashby referred to the area between Autumn Street and Waratah Street.
In 1875, the entire Ashby area was renamed West Geelong. The Ashby state school, which had only opened that same year, changed its name to Geelong West. In 1988, as part of Australia's bicentennial celebrations, the school changed its name back to Ashby. A Post Office named Geelong West opened on 1 July 1865 but was replaced and renamed Geelong North Railway Station in 1886. On 1 April 1887 the Geelong West office reopened near its present location. In 1960 Shandeen Post Office opened near the corner of Aberdeen Road and Shannon Avenue.
The M. Donaghy & Sons ropeworks factory was once located in Pakington Street, Geelong West. The site has been developed, with construction of a Woolworths Supermarket and space for specialty shops.
Heritage listed sites
Geelong West contains a number of heritage listed sites, including:
- 22 Pakington Street, 
- 95 Pakington Street, 
- 233 Pakington Street, 
- 9 Gertrude Street, 
- 202 Aberdeen Street, 
- 127 Elizabeth Street, 
Pako FestaMain article: Pako Festa
The Pako Festa is an annual festival held in Pakington Street, Geelong West each year around late February. In 2006 it was held on 25 February. The festival is held to promote cultural diversity and show appreciation for the artwork and fashion designed by citizens of the Geelong area.
SportMain article: Geelong West Football Club
- Australian Bureau of Statistics (27 June 2017). "Geelong West (State Suburb)". 2016 Census QuickStats. Retrieved 16 November 2017.
- Premier Postal History. "Post Office List". Retrieved 11 April 2008.
- "Geelong tramways - a short history". Retrieved 13 June 2007.
- "Geelong Advertiser - 'Government approves $12.5 million Ropeworks plan'". Retrieved 19 July 2007.
- "Former Harp Inn (H0585)". Victorian Heritage Register. Heritage Victoria. Retrieved 2014-03-23.
- "Former Donaghy's Rope Walk (H1169)". Victorian Heritage Register. Heritage Victoria. Retrieved 2014-03-23.
- "Reformed Church of Geelong (H1145)". Victorian Heritage Register. Heritage Victoria. Retrieved 2014-03-23.
- "Residence (H1124)". Victorian Heritage Register. Heritage Victoria. Retrieved 2014-03-23.
- "Former Shearers Arms Hotel (H0661)". Victorian Heritage Register. Heritage Victoria. Retrieved 2014-03-23.
- "St Elmo (H1180)". Victorian Heritage Register. Heritage Victoria. Retrieved 2014-03-23.
- Full Points Footy. "Geelong West Saint Peters". Archived from the original on 17 June 2008. Retrieved 2008-07-25.
- Official Geelong Council website
- Ashby Primary School
- Local history of Geelong West
- Local Business Directory for the Pakington Street Area
No Records Found
Sorry, no records were found. Please adjust your search criteria and try again.
Google Map Not Loaded
Sorry, unable to load Google Maps API.