Ceratodus is on the Burnett River about 8.8 kilometres (5.5 mi) from Eidsvold, Queensland. The river flows from north-east to south-west, where it is joined by the . The Burnett Highway passes through from south to north.
The name Ceratodus was given to the settlement about 1922  and derives from that of the Queensland lungfish, Neoceratodus forsteri. A railway station opened here 26 April 1924. On 12 September 1924, the District Postal Inspector, Maryborough Division, reported that 100 railway employees were camped at Ceratodus, engaged on bridge building and other railway work, and that there was one permanent settler (named Falconer) in the locality.
Ceratodus Provisional School was open from 1925 to 1927. Ceratodus State School opened in July 1930 and closed on 10 October 1965.
A receiving office opened at the railway station in January 1925 and was elevated to a post office by April 1926. The settlement was, for many years, a watering station for steam locomotives. In 1967 it was reported that the postmistress and station-mistress (Mrs J. Leard) also operated the telephone exchange (to which only one subscriber's service was connected) and that there were no shops or businesses in the settlement, only two railway cottages. The post office closed 31 May 1968.
Ceratodus has a number of heritage-listed sites, including:
- Macquarie Dictionary, Fourth Edition (2005). Melbourne, The Macquarie Library Pty Ltd. ISBN 1-876429-14-3
- "Ceratodus - town (entry 6794)". Queensland Place Names. Queensland Government. Retrieved 22 August 2016.
- "Ceratodus - locality (entry 45330)". Queensland Place Names. Queensland Government. Retrieved 22 August 2016.
- "Queensland Globe". State of Queensland. Retrieved 5 December 2019.
- Memoirs of the Queensland Museum, Vol ix, 1928
- Frew, Joan (1981) Queensland Post Offices 1842-1980 and Receiving Offices 1869-1927, p. 231. Fortitude Valley, Queensland: published by the author, ISBN 0-9593973-0-2
- King, Harold J., in Stamp Collecting (London), 25 August 1967
- "Agency Details". www.archivessearch.qld.gov.au.
- "North Burnett Local Heritage Register" (PDF). North Burnett Regional Council. Archived (PDF) from the original on 16 August 2019. Retrieved 16 August 2019.
- Eidsvold (Qld. : Shire). Council (1997), Ceratodus : the long journey, Eidsvold Shire Council, retrieved 22 August 2016
- Media related to Ceratodus, Queensland at Wikimedia Commons