Berkeley Basil Moreton, 4th Earl of Ducie (18 July 1834 – 7 August 1924), was a British peer and a politician and pastoralist in Australia. He was a Member of both the Queensland Legislative Assembly and the Queensland Legislative Council.
Berkeley Basil Moreton was born on 18 July 1834 at Woodchester, Gloucestershire, England, the son of Henry Reynolds-Moreton, 2nd Earl of Ducie and his wife Elizabeth, daughter of Lord Sherborne. He was educated at Rugby School and attended university at Magdalen College at Oxford.
Berkeley Moreton arrived in Australia on 27 November 1855.
On 1 October 1883, he became a Member of the Queensland Legislative Assembly for the third time when he was elected (again) to the seat of Burnett, which he held until 12 May 1888. During this period, he briefly held the role of Queensland Postmaster-General from 17 March 1885 to 22 April 1885. This was followed by three years as the Secretary for Public Instruction from 17 April 1885 to 13 June 1888, which was partly concurrent by his two-year stint as Colonial Secretary from 1 April 1886 to 13 June 1888.
On 28 October 1921, Berkeley Moreton's brother Henry Reynolds-Moreton, 3rd Earl of Ducie, died and Berkeley Moreton became the 4th Earl of Ducie. As the third Earl had a son Henry Reynolds-Moreton, Lord Moreton, Berkeley Moreton had not expected to inherit the title, but that changed on 28 February 1920 when his nephew Henry Reynolds-Moreton predeceased his father, the third Earl.
- "The Earl of Ducie Farewelled". The Brisbane Courier. National Library of Australia. 7 January 1922. p. 6. Retrieved 3 October 2013.
- "Part 2.15 – Alphabetical Register of Members of the Legislative Assembly 1860–2017 and the Legislative Council 1860–1922" (PDF). Queensland Parliamentary Record 2015–2017: The 55th Parliament. Queensland Parliament. Archived from the original on 26 April 2020. Retrieved 27 April 2020.CS1 maint: unfit url (link)
- "THE CENTRAL BURNETT". The Brisbane Courier. National Library of Australia. 13 April 1923. p. 7. Retrieved 3 October 2013.
- "BRISBANE NOTES". Cairns Post (Qld. : 1909 – 1954). Qld.: National Library of Australia. 29 April 1920. p. 2. Retrieved 3 October 2013.
- "THE EARL OF DUCIE". The Queenslander. Brisbane: National Library of Australia. 18 February 1922. p. 10. Retrieved 26 September 2014.
- Some Memorial Inscriptions - Tortworth, Gloucestershire — Wishful Thinking. Retrieved 27 January 2016.
- Hansard 1803–2005: contributions in Parliament by the Earl of Ducie
|Peerage of the United Kingdom|
Henry John Reynolds-Moreton
| Earl of Ducie
Capel Henry Berkeley Reynolds Moreton
|Parliament of Queensland|
| Member for Burnett
Served alongside: Charles Haly
John Bramston Walter Scott
| Member for Maryborough
| Member for Burnett