Torrumbarry Town in V Read more [...]
Torrumbarry // is a town in northern Victoria, Australia. The town is in the Shire of Campaspe local government area and on the Murray Valley Highway, 241 kilometres (150 mi) north of the state capital, Melbourne. The town was once large but shrunk over time. The town still houses a hotel, a hall, a general store and a post office.
The town is home to an important weir situated on the Murray River, a few kilometres north of the township. The weir was built in the 1920s. It operated efficiently until 1992 when it was damaged extensively. After numerous unsuccessful repairs, it was decided the weir would be rebuilt with a new design that was completed during 1996. An information centre was built outlining the importance and history of the weir. A post office was built at the weir in 1919 but closed 5 years later due to the fact it was rarely used.
- Australian Bureau of Statistics (31 October 2012). “Torrumbarry (State Suburb)”. 2011 Census QuickStats. Retrieved 5 December 2014.
- Hot Frog, Local Post Office, retrieved 2009-01-01
- Shire of Campaspe, Suburb profile, retrieved 2009-01-01
- Goulburn-Murray Water, Torrumbarry Weir, retrieved 2009-01-01
- Premier Postal History, Post Office List, archived from the original on 10 May 2008, retrieved 1 January 2009
Media related to Torrumbarry, Victoria at Wikimedia Commons
- Town Accommodation: