PS Adelaide History A Read more [...]
PS Adelaide was built by George Linklater at Echuca in 1866 for J.C. Grassey and Partners. It was used by the original owners to transport wool to Echuca from nearby sheep stations. It was also a part-time passenger boat, bringing the ladies into town to do their shopping.
PS Adelaide was later purchased by the Murray River Sawmill Co and used as logging steamer. PS Adelaide operated as a logging steamer until 1958, before being sold to a South Australian owner and leaving Echuca. Purchased by the Echuca Apex Club in 1960, the vessel returned to Echuca and was eventually removed from the river for display in a local park.
In the early 1980s work began on restoring the vessel’s hull and it was re-launched in 1984. With restoration completed in 1985, the PS Adelaide was re-commissioned by the Prince and Princess of Wales.