Echuca railway station
Echuca railway station is the terminal station of the Deniliquin line in Victoria, Australia. It serves the town of Echuca. It is the terminus for V/Line services from Melbourne. Beyond Echuca the line continues to Deniliquin. Freight sidings and a silo exist opposite the station.
The railway reached Echuca in 1864, and transformed the town into a major river port, with the opening of the Echuca Wharf and substantial urban growth in the 1870s. In 1876, the Deniliquin and Moama Railway Company opened their 71 km (44 mi) long private railway northwards to Deniliquin.
The brick station building at Echuca was provided on opening of the line, along with a double gable roofed brick goods shed, and three road locomotive depot. The station building was expanded in 1877, a large water tower being erected in the same year (demolished in 1977), and the iron footbridge was added in 1880. The concrete rail bridge over the Murray River to the north of the station opened in 1989, replacing a road and rail bridge which opened in 1878.
A short branch line between Echuca and the port opened with the line, but was closed in 1971. In 2000, $150,000 funding for the reconstruction of the line was provided. By 2002 work was underway, with the cost increased to $330,000. However, by 2007 the branch was out of use and disconnected from the main line.
Platforms & services
- Rochester Vicsig
- "Echuca-Moama Road Rail Bridge over Murray River". Office of Environment & Heritage. NSW Government. Retrieved 3 January 2009.
- Australian Bureau of Statistics. "Private Railways". Year Book Australia, 1921. www.abs.gov.au. Retrieved 20 July 2008.
- "Works". Newsrail. Australian Railway Historical Society. August 1977. p. 182.
- "Echuca Railway Station Complex (listing VICH1059)". Australia Heritage Places Inventory. Department of Sustainability, Environment, Water, Population and Communities. Retrieved 3 January 2009.
- "Minister Announces Funding for the Port of Echuca Rail Link". Media Release: Minister for Transport. www.dpc.vic.gov.au. 29 May 2000. Retrieved 3 January 2009.
- "Switchpoint: Victorian Rail Freight Network Review" (PDF). p. 70. Archived from the original (PDF) on 4 March 2011. Retrieved 3 January 2009.
- Coalition government reopens Echuca to Toolamba line for rail freight Premier of Victoria 3 October 2013
- Echuca to Toolamba reopens Rail Express 9 October 2013
- Echuca/Moama - Melbourne timetable Public Transport Victoria
- "Southern timetable" (PDF). NSW Trainlink. 30 September 2018.