Donna Burns Donna Bur Read more [...]
Donna Burns OAM  is an Australian intellectual disability basketball player who won gold as a member of the Pearls in the 1992 Madrid Paralympic Games for Persons with Mental Handicap. Burns is an Indigenous Australian and descendent of the Yorta Yorta.
Burns is an Australian basketball player who won gold as a member of the Pearls in the 1992 Madrid Paralympic Games for Persons with Mental Handicap. Born in 1972 in Echuca, Victoria, Australia, Burns is an Indigenous Australian and descendent of the Yorta Yorta. She is the granddaughter of Margaret Tucker, an Indigenous Australian activist and writer.
Burns alternated from playing netball to basketball from the age of eight. As a teenager she focussed on basketball at the encouragement of her coach, who saw her potential to represent Australia.
Burns was selected as a member of the Pearls, the Australian national women’s basketball team for athletes with an intellectual disability. The Pearls were undefeated in Madrid in their five games, against Great Britain, France, Poland and Greece. Burns scored 128 of the team’s 273 total points, and was voted Most Valuable Player.
- NAIDOC Victorian Sports Person of the Year 1993
- 1993 National Sportswoman of the Year at the 4th biennial National Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Sports Awards 
- Awarded Medal of the Order of Australia (OAM) on 13 June 1993 in “recognition of service to sport as a gold medalist at the Paralympic Games, Madrid 1992” 
- Inducted to Aboriginal and Islander Sports Hall of Fame
- “Donna Burns”. It’s an Honour: Australia Celebrating Australians.
- “Donna Burns”. AUSTLIT. Retrieved 2 May 2015.
- Andrews, Julie; Atkinson, Wayne; Anderson, Ian (1993). Ngariaty. La Trobe University. p. 33.
- Quillian, Wayne (17 November 1993). “Indigenous National Sports Award”. Koori Mail. p. 24.
- Franklin, Bianca (6 October 2004). “No Indigenous female Paralympians”. Koori Mail. p. 70.
- Australian Paralympic Federation. “Media Releases Days 1 – 7, September 1992”.
- “Australians win more gold medals in Madrid”. The Canberra Times. 24 September 1992. p. 30. Retrieved 2 May 2015 – via National Library of Australia.
- Tatz, Colin; Adair, Daryl (2009). “Darkness and a little light: ‘Race’ and sport in Australia”. Australian Aboriginal Studies (2): 9.
- Town Accommodation: