Town Category: New South Wales
- Suburb of Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
Dolans Bay is a bayside suburb in Southern Sydney, in the state of New South Wales, Australia, that is located 26 kilometres (16 mi) south of the Sydney central business district, in the local government area of the Sutherland Shire.
Dolans Bay is on the north shore of the Port Hacking estuary. The suburb is named after the small cove on the edge of Burraneer Bay. Houses overlook the bay and some line the water's edge together with boatsheds. Boats are moored in the bay, which provides protection from the southerly wind. Burraneer Bay features a private marina and slipway with full repair facilities.
The suburb of Dolans Bay is surrounded by the suburbs of Caringbah South, Lilli Pilli and Port Hacking. The suburb of Burraneer is located across Burraneer Bay. The villages of Maianbar and Bundeena are located on the opposite bank of Port Hacking.
Dolans Bay was named after a land owner in the area called Patrick Dolan, and possibly also after his son, Dominick Dolan. Patrick Dolan purchased approximately 286 acres adjoining the bay in 1856. In 1858 Mary and Andrew Webster paid 108 pounds and 15 shillings plus a yearly peppercorn quit rent for their land in this area. The Websters sold their land to Dominick Dolan in 1863.
In 1927, 30 allotments of "Port Hacking Seymour Estate' were advertised to be auctioned on 9 April by C. Monro Ltd. auctioneers. A stone bungalow was also advertised for sale on one of the blocks.
Dolans Bay has a number of heritage-listed sites, including:
In the 2016 Census, there were 598 people in Dolans Bay. 86.8% of people were born in Australia and 91.4% of people spoke only English at home. The most common responses for religion were Catholic 38.1%, Anglican 25.9% and No Religion 19.5%.
The suburb can be accessed by Port Hacking Road or Saunders Bay Road, both of which lead to Lilli Pilli Point and Wally's Wharf.
- Australian Bureau of Statistics (27 June 2017). "Dolans Bay (State Suburb)". 2016 Census QuickStats. Retrieved 7 November 2017. Material was copied from this source, which is available under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
- "Dolans Bay (NSW)". Gazetteer of Australia online. Geoscience Australia, Australian Government.
- Burgess, Laurie (July 2020). "Sutherland Shire Origin of Suburbs". Sutherland Shire Council Spatial Services Team. p. 15. Retrieved 12 July 2020.
- The Book of Sydney Suburbs, Compiled by Frances Pollon, Angus & Robertson Publishers, 1990, Published in Australia ISBN 0-207-14495-8, page 51
- "Port Hacking Seymour Estate". 9 April 1915. hdl:10462/deriv/280866. Cite journal requires
- "SUPPLY RELEASED". The Sun (5121). New South Wales, Australia. 6 April 1927. p. 23 (FINAL EXTRA). Retrieved 26 November 2019 – via National Library of Australia.
- "Lyons House". New South Wales State Heritage Register. Office of Environment and Heritage. H01930. Retrieved 18 May 2018.
No Records Found
Sorry, no records were found. Please adjust your search criteria and try again.
Google Map Not Loaded
Sorry, unable to load Google Maps API.