Earl of Munster
Earl of Munster was a title created twice, once in the Peerage of Ireland and once in the Peerage of the United Kingdom. The first creation came in 1789 in favour of Prince William, the third son of King George III. He was made Duke of Clarence and St Andrews at the same time. When William succeeded to the throne as King William IV in 1830 the titles merged with the crown.
The second creation came in the Peerage of the United Kingdom on 12 May 1831 for George Augustus Frederick FitzClarence, the eldest illegitimate son of William IV. He was made Viscount FitzClarence and Baron Tewkesbury in the county of Gloucester at the same time. The viscountcy was used as a courtesy title by the heir apparent to the earldom. The titles were created with remainder to his brothers Frederick, Adolphus and Augustus.
Lord Munster’s great-grandson, the fifth earl (who succeeded his uncle), was a prominent Conservative politician and held ministerial office under five Prime Ministers. He was succeeded by his second cousin, the sixth Earl. He was the son of Brigadier General Charles FitzClarence, VC (8 May 1865 – 12 November 1914), son of Captain the Hon. George FitzClarence, third son of the first Earl. On the death of his son, the seventh Earl, in 2000, the titles became extinct.
See also Duchess of Munster.
Earls of Munster; first creation (1789)
Earls of Munster; second creation (1831)
- George Augustus Frederick FitzClarence, 1st Earl of Munster (1794–1842)
- William George FitzClarence, 2nd Earl of Munster (1824–1901)
- Edward Fitz-Clarence, Viscount FitzClarence (1856–1870)
- Geoffrey George Gordon FitzClarence, 3rd Earl of Munster (1859–1902)
- Aubrey FitzClarence, 4th Earl of Munster (1862–1928)
- Geoffrey William Richard Hugh FitzClarence, 5th Earl of Munster (1906–1975)
- Anthony Charles FitzClarence, 7th Earl of Munster (1926–2000)
Male line family tree
Family of Earl of Munster George FitzClarence
Hon. Frederick FitzClarence
Capt. George FitzClarence
Lt. Edward FitzClarence
Hon. Lionel FitzClarence
Hon. Arthur FitzClarence
Hon. William FitzClarence
Hon. Harold FitzClarence
Capt. Edward FitzClarence
Brig.gen. Charles FitzClarence
Capt. William FitzClarence
- Kidd, Charles, Williamson, David (editors). Debrett’s Peerage and Baronetage (1990 edition). New York: St Martin’s Press, 1990,[page needed]
- Leigh Rayment’s Peerage Pages [self-published source][better source needed]