Halbury was a stop on the Port Wakefield railway line, an isolated narrow gauge horse-drawn railway connecting to the port at Port Wakefield from Balaklava and Hoyleton. Halbury was where this railway crossed the Gulf Road from Auburn and Burra to the port.
The Gladstone railway line ran from Hamley Bridge through Balaklava to Blyth and further on into the Mid North of the state. The line was originally narrow gauge 1,067 mm (3 ft 6 in), but was converted to broad gauge 1,600 mm (5 ft 3 in) in 1927. Due to various reasons, this particular line became obsolete and the tracks were dismantled in the late 1980s. After Halbury, the railway line veered to the north-east, travelling on to the towns of Hoyleton, Kybunga and further north to Blyth.
The township of Halbury in the west of the locality is in the Wakefield Regional Council local government area. The hillier east of the locality is part of the District Council of Clare and Gilbert Valleys.
- Australian Bureau of Statistics (25 October 2007). "Halbury (State Suburb)". 2006 Census QuickStats. Retrieved 30 July 2011.
- "Place Names of South Australia - H". The Manning Index of South Australian History. Government of South Australia.
- "PORT WAKEFIELD RAILWAY". The South Australian Advertiser. Adelaide, SA: National Library of Australia. 21 August 1869. p. 2. Retrieved 2 December 2015.
- "PORT WAKEFIELD RAILWAY". The South Australian Advertiser. Adelaide, SA: National Library of Australia. 10 August 1871. p. 2. Retrieved 2 December 2015.
- ""THE BIG PUSH."". The Register (Adelaide, SA : 1901 - 1929). Adelaide, SA: National Library of Australia. 1 August 1927. p. 9. Retrieved 2 December 2015.
- Horse and Steam, Wheat and Copper Callaghan, W.H. Australian Railway Historical Society Bulletin, January;February, 2002 pp9-27;46-63
Media related to Halbury, South Australia at Wikimedia Commons