Bungaree Station was established by English settler James Collins Hawker, along with his two brothers George Charles Hawker and Charles Hawker, in 1841. The former had discovered a good supply of water there on 22 December 1841, so they sank a well and transferred all their livestock from their failed settlement at Nuriootpa, subsequently running sheep on 80,000 acres (32,000 ha) of purchased land. Over time, a large settlement evolved that included the main homestead and a number of outbuildings, including a church.
The historic , including the homestead and its manager's house, council chamber, stables, office and store, men's kitchen, shearing shed, shearers' quarters, swagman's hut, stallion box and gate house, is listed on the South Australian Heritage Register.
The settlement today
Bungaree is still an active sheep station and remains in the ownership of the Hawker family. It has also become a centre for tourism, with accommodation and a conference centre.
- Serle, Percival (1949). "Hawker, George Charles". Dictionary of Australian Biography. Sydney: Angus and Robertson.
- "The LateMr. J. C. Hawker. An Interesting Career". Adelaide: The Register. 16 May 1901.
- "Bungaree Homestead Complex including the Homestead, Manager's House, Council Chamber, Stables, Office/Store, Men's Kitchen, Shearing Shed, Shearer's Quarters, Swaggie's Hut, Stallion Box and Gate House". South Australian Heritage Register. Department of Environment, Water and Natural Resources. Retrieved 17 October 2016.
- Bungaree Station website