Town Category: Victoria
City of CaulfieldLocal government area in Victoria, Australia
The City of Caulfield was a local government area about 10 kilometres (6 mi) southeast of Melbourne, the state capital of Victoria, Australia. The city covered an area of 21.97 square kilometres (8.48 sq mi), and existed from 1857 until 1994.
Caulfield was incorporated as a road district on 15 October 1857, and the first Caulfield Roads Board was elected in November 1857. It had control over the roads in an area bounded by Warrigal Road, Hotham Street, Dandenong Road, North Road and Brighton Road. It became a shire on 17 April 1871. In the 1880s the area was a market gardening district, with 182 hectares (450 acres) under cultivation, but by the end of the century, its character had become more residential. As such, it became a borough on 30 April 1901 and a town on 23 September 1901. It was proclaimed a city on 26 July 1913. On 16 April 1923, it lost part of its area (the current suburb of Hughesdale) to the Borough of Oakleigh.
On 15 December 1994, the City of Caulfield was abolished, and, along with parts of the City of Moorabbin, was merged into the newly created City of Glen Eira. The councillors of both councils were dismissed.
Year Population 1911 15,919 1933 65,297 1954 75,217 1958 72,900* 1961 74,859 1966 76,058 1971 81,865 1976 73,630 1981 69,922 1986 67,718 1991 67,776 1992 71,600
* Estimate in the 1958 Victorian Year Book.
- Australian Bureau of Statistics, Victoria Office (1994). Victorian Year Book. p. 49. ISSN 0067-1223.
- Monash University (1999). “Australian Places – Caulfield”. Archived from the original on 2003-10-03. Retrieved 2008-01-04.
- Victorian Municipal Directory. Brunswick: Arnall & Jackson. 1992. pp. 455–456. Accessed at State Library of Victoria, La Trobe Reading Room.
- Australian Bureau of Statistics (1 August 1995). Victorian local government amalgamations 1994-1995: Changes to the Australian Standard Geographical Classification (PDF). Commonwealth of Australia. p. 6. ISBN 0-642-23117-6. Retrieved 2007-12-16.
No Records Found
Sorry, no records were found. Please adjust your search criteria and try again.
Google Map Not Loaded
Sorry, unable to load Google Maps API.