Upper Hermitage, South Australia
Upper Hermitage is an outer northeastern rural suburb of Adelaide, South Australia. It is located in the City of Tea Tree Gully and Adelaide Hills Council local government areas, and is adjacent to the rural districts of Yatala Vale and Gould Creek.
Upper Hermitage’s history revolves around agriculture and viticulture, as well as sand and freestone quarries, whose yields were used since early settlement days to build many South Australian public buildings, including the Adelaide Town Hall, General Post Office, Supreme Court and St Peter’s Cathedral.
The Upper Hermitage district was significantly affected by the 1955 Black Sunday bushfires and 2015 Sampson Flat bushfires.
The boundary of Upper Hermitage is defined on the east by Warner Road, on the north by the Little Para River, on the south by a small stretch of Yatala Vale Road, and on the west by the district of Yatala Vale. It is broadly speaking east of the Golden Grove conurbation. The main roads of Upper Hermitage were all named after pioneer families of the district, namely Warner Road, Neale Road and Verrall Road.
Upper Hermitage has a Country Fire Station, and there used to be a winery (Glenara Wines) on Range Road North, which is now closed. It also has two tennis courts and a tennis club (formerly the CWA rooms) on the corner of Range Road North and Warner road, which is, to date, in disuse, the second court serving as a car park for the CFS.
The area is not serviced by Adelaide public transport.
- “Search results for ‘Upper Hermitage, LOCB’ with the following datasets selected – ‘Suburbs and localities’, ‘Counties’, ‘Local Government Areas’, ‘SA Government Regions’ and ‘Gazetteer‘“. Location SA Map Viewer. South Australian Government. Retrieved 27 December 2018.
- Tea Tree Gully Historical Society – Geological and Quarry History K Gallasch (ed.). Retrieved 15 June 2006.
- [1955 Black Sunday bushfires]
- [2015 Sampson Flat Bushfires]
- UBD Adelaide directory (1999; 47th ed.) Universal Press.ISBN 0-7319-1033-8