Paracombe, South Australia
The name probably originates from the Little Para River whose headwaters are in the area. It was settled in 1840–41 by John Barton Hack and John Richardson, and was a sheep station until the beginning of the 20th century. It was subdivided and, with an influx of smaller landholders, a school, post office, church and recreation hall were built, but the town did not grow much beyond this.
In 1966, work started on the Kangaroo Creek Reservoir, a dam of the River Torrens, and in 1969 it was completed at a cost of $5.3 million. Apart from supplying water to eastern Adelaide, it also serves a flood protection role and holds 19,160 megalitres.
Paracombe has , a recreation centre and a Country Fire Station.
- “Search results for ‘Paracombe, LOCB’ with the following datasets selected – ‘Suburbs and localities’, ‘Counties’, ‘Local Government Areas’, ‘SA Government Regions’ and ‘Gazetteer‘“. Location SA Map Viewer. South Australian Government. Retrieved 27 December 2018.
- Australian Bureau of Statistics (31 October 2012). “Paracombe (State Suburb)”. 2011 Census QuickStats. Retrieved 5 October 2016.
- Adelaide Hills Council – Historical Town Information Archived 25 June 2006 at the Wayback Machine Accessed 15 June 2006
- SA Water – Kangaroo Creek Reservoir Archived 24 January 2010 at the Wayback Machine
-  Accessed 24 March 2016