Town Category: South Australia
Meadows, South AustraliaTown in South Australia
Meadows is a town in the Adelaide Hills, South Australia. It boasts several historic buildings, craft shops, a winery and bakery. Every year, the town hosts the Meadows Country Fair and Meadows Easter Fair. At the 2006 census, Meadows had a population of 752.
The land incorporating Meadows was part of the Seventh Special Survey undertaken by Charles Flaxman on 31 January 1839.
The 5000 hectare Kuitpo Forest, known for bushwalking, cycling, and horse riding, lies to the south, west and north of Meadows. The nearby Prospect Hill Museum tells the story of the regional dairy industry and includes a re-created milk room.
Meadows is fairly close to Mount Barker, Hahndorf and Stirling. It is serviced twice a day by Adelaide metro Routeto Aldgate, which connects to a city service.
Notes and references
- Australian Bureau of Statistics (27 June 2017). “Meadows (State Suburb)”. 2016 Census QuickStats. Retrieved 25 January 2018.
- “Placename Details: Meadows”. Property Location Browser. Government of South Australia. 1 August 2007. SA0044042. Archived from the original on 12 October 2016. Retrieved 28 October 2016.
- Australian Bureau of Statistics (25 October 2007). “Meadows (L) (Urban Centre/Locality)”. 2006 Census QuickStats. Retrieved 4 October 2011.
- “TOWNS, PEOPLE, AND THINGS WE OUGHT TO KNOW”. The Chronicle. LXXVI (4, 004). Adelaide. 10 August 1933. p. 46. Retrieved 13 December 2017 – via National Library of Australia.
- “Placename Details: Meadows”. Property Location Browser. 1 August 2007. SA0044042. Retrieved 13 December 2017.
Alternative Name: Battunga; Derivation of Name: Meadows Special Survey; Other Details: Possibly named by Charles Flaxman, being the person who took up the Special Survey. Boundaries created in November 2003 for long established name.
Major Townships Attractions See alsoTowns and localities of the District Council of Mount Barker
No Records Found
Sorry, no records were found. Please adjust your search criteria and try again.
Google Map Not Loaded
Sorry, unable to load Google Maps API.