Littlehampton, South Australia
Littlehampton is a small town in the Adelaide Hills of South Australia. At the 2011 census, Littlehampton had a population of 2,748.
Littlehampton was laid out in 1849 by Benjamin Gray who named it after his native town in Sussex. By 1890, Littlehampton had become a busy industrial area, with factories producing bricks, jam, sauces, bacon, wattle extract, a brewery and a sawmill.
Today Littlehampton Bricks continues operation, manufacturing high-quality clay building bricks and pavers, as well as a range of refractory and insulating bricks. It was established in 1913 developing from another brickyard – Coppins – which was on the other side of the road.
The 1862 church on Main Street is one of the oldest church buildings in the state still in use.
The first commercial collection in the world of any pasture legume seed was done by Amos Howard about two kilometres east of Littlehampton. This was of Trifolium subterraneum (Subterranean Clover). This cultivar was later named ‘Mount Barker’ and is still commercially available.
The Littlehampton Country Fire Service (CFS) is the volunteer fire service of Littlehampton. They are part of the Heysen group.
- Australian Bureau of Statistics (31 October 2012). “Littlehampton (State Suburb)”. 2011 Census QuickStats. Retrieved 4 October 2016.
- Tourist Information on Littlehampton
- Littlehampton webpage
- Littlehampton Country Fire Service