Houghton, South Australia
Houghton is a small town near Adelaide, South Australia. It is located in the Adelaide Hills, in the City of Tea Tree Gully and the Adelaide Hills Council local government areas between Tea Tree Gully and Inglewood on the North East Road.
The 162-hectare Highercombe estate was settled by George Anstey in 1841, who named it after his original family home near Dulverton, Somerset. The present-day Highercombe golf course south of the townsite was part of this estate. In 1857, the house, now with sixteen rooms, and estate was purchased by George Waterhouse, who became Premier of South Australia in 1861. In 1929, it was burnt in a fire, but was rebuilt on a smaller scale.
The townsite itself was also settled in 1841, by land agent and auctioneer John Richardson. During the 1840s, it was the hub of the district and gained a simple stone Union Chapel serving several denominations, the Travellers’ Rest Hotel, blacksmith, school, dwellings and other trappings of civilisation, together with a reserve which is now Houghton Common.
The area has a few small shops, the Highercombe Golf Course, and a primary school (which has now closed due to lack of numbers) and oval. It backs onto the Anstey Hill Recreation Park which is accessible from nearby Vista.
- “Search results for ‘Houghton, LOCB’ with the following datasets selected – ‘Suburbs and localities’, ‘Counties’, ‘Local Government Areas’, ‘SA Government Regions’ and ‘Gazetteer‘“. Location SA Map Viewer. South Australian Government. Retrieved 28 December 2018.
- Australian Bureau of Statistics (31 October 2012). “Houghton (State Suburb)”. 2011 Census QuickStats. Retrieved 24 October 2013.
- Placenames SA – Houghton accessed 16 June 2006
- Local History – Highercombe, City of Tea Tree Gully Library. Retrieved 15 June 2006.
- Adelaide Hills Council – Historical Town Information Archived 25 June 2006 at the Wayback Machine
- Timetable Accessed 15 June 2006