Town Category: South Australia
CastambulSuburb of Adelaide, South Australia
In the 1850s, Australia’s first payable gold mine (the Victoria) was located in the area. The area was also home to Price Maurice, who moved to Castambul in 1856 and bred Angora goats for wool. Angora goats were introduced from Turkey to South Australia by John Haigh, who bred them near Port Lincoln. After purchasing Haigh’s flock, Maurice was impressed with their potential and soon sent to Turkey for additional animals. His enterprises in South Australia were very successful but he returned to Britain with his family in 1862 for health reasons.
Kastambul Post Office opened on an unknown date and closed at the end of 1971.
Today, very little exists of the old settlement.
In 1966, work started on the Kangaroo Creek Reservoir, a dam of the River Torrens, and in 1969, it was completed at a cost of $5.3 million. Apart from supplying water to eastern Adelaide, it also serves a flood protection role and holds 19,160 megalitres.
The area is not serviced by Adelaide public transport.
Towns and localities of the Adelaide Hills Council
- Victoria Gold Mine at Mindat.org
- Adelaide Hills Council – Historical Town Information Archived 25 June 2006 at the Wayback Machine Accessed 15 June 2006
- Maurice Home Page, John Kirkwood. Retrieved 9 July 2006
- Premier Postal History. “Post Office List”. Premier Postal Auctions. Retrieved 26 May 2011.
- “SA Water – Kangaroo Creek Reservoir”. Archived from the original on 24 January 2010. Retrieved 9 July 2006.
- Understanding South Australia’s Built Heritage Archived 24 June 2006 at the Wayback Machine, Department of Environment and Heritage, last amended March 2006. Retrieved 9 July 2006.
- Basket Range
- Birdwood (part)
- Bridgewater (part)
- Carey Gully
- Chain Of Ponds
- Cleland (part)
- Crafers West (part)
- Cromer (part)
- Cudlee Creek
- Dorset Vale (part)
- Forest Range
- Hay Valley (part)
- Houghton (part)
- Hahndorf (part)
- Humbug Scrub (part)
- Ironbank (part)
- Kenton Valley
- Lower Hermitage
- Marble Hill
- Mount Crawford (part)
- Mount George
- Mount Torrens (part)
- Norton Summit
- Paracombe (part)
- Rostrevor (part)
- Scott Creek
- Upper Hermitage (part)
- Upper Sturt (part)
- Verdun (part)
Other Major Townships Attractions See also
No Records Found
Sorry, no records were found. Please adjust your search criteria and try again.
Google Map Not Loaded
Sorry, unable to load Google Maps API.