Ashton, South Australia
Ashton is a town in South Australia. It was named by George Hunt in 1858 after his home Ashton in England. Ashton is from the old English word ‘aesctun’, which means ‘ash tree town’.
The Ashton General Store and post office was established in 1890 by Herbert and Emily Lovibond (nee Stephens) until 1941. During this time it was also known as “Mrs Lovibonds Emporium”. In 1986 the Post office was run by B & E Robertson and then by C. Beauchamp but closed on 1 January 2009, although there is an adjoining community post office with restricted hours from 8-10am Monday to Friday.
The Ashton oval was home to the Eastern Rangers Football Club (Australian rules) until it merged with Uraidla Football Club in 1997. The clubrooms and grounds are still home to Eastern Ranges Cricket Club as well as a venue for Scout meetings and private functions. The venue is now also home to the Rangers Junior Soccer club. Facilities include one football/cricket oval, practice nets, tennis courts, change rooms, toilets, bar, kitchen and club rooms. Ashton
Located in the town’s center, the Ashton Hall is available for hire for public and private functions. Facilities include full kitchen, internal and external canteen windows, toilets, car park and stage in addition to the large, wood floored hall.
The original inhabitants of this area were the Peramangk aboriginal people.
Fruit orchards represent a significant part of the land usage and history of Ashton. Yearly crops include cherries, apples, lemons, pears as well as many other fruits and vegetables. In addition, Ashton is home to facilities for the cold storage of produce although today’s ease of transport and close proximity to Adelaide has meant they aren’t as extensively used as in the past.
Ashton is located on Lobethal road approximately 20 minutes or 17km from the Adelaide CBD. The simplest route from the City is North Terrace, Magill Road, Old Norton Summit Road, Lobethal Road (all of which are continuations of the same road).
Eastern Rangers Football Club
The Eastern Rangers Football Club was formed when the Lenswood Rangers Football Club, and Ashton Football Club merged to form one club. Known as the saints, the Football club competed in the Hills Football League until the club merged with the neighboring Uraidla Football Club to form the Uraidla Districts Football Club. The Eastern Rangers club tasted A Grade premiership success in just one season in 1987 in the Hills Football League’s First Division. After tasting Premiership success the club struggled in the leagues first division and therefore moved to the HFL’s second division. The club then made one last shot at glory making the second division’s grand final in 1995 but lost the game. After talks with the Uraidla football club the club decided to merge creating the Uraidla Districts football club. The new club recently tasted A grade premiership success in 2005 and were the front runners in the 2006 and 2007 season but lost the grand final to the Mount Lofty District Football Club.
- “Search results for ‘Ashton, LOCB’ with the following datasets selected – ‘Suburbs and localities’, ‘Counties’, ‘Local Government Areas’, ‘SA Government Regions’ and ‘Gazetteer‘“. Location SA Map Viewer. South Australian Government. Retrieved 27 December 2018.
- Australian Bureau of Statistics (31 October 2012). “Ashton (State Suburb)”. 2011 Census QuickStats. Retrieved 3 February 2016.
- George Hunt’s Township by Brian J. Causby