Along with settlements such as Burragate, Pericoe, Rocky Hall and Kiah, Towamba was one of the settlements established after Benjamin Boyd began to open up the area to European settlement in the 1840s and 1850s.
This small community has had a public school since 1862 located in Towamba Street. The original ford crossing the Towamba River was opposite the old Police Station, now a private dwelling. The first bridge built across the river was swept away in the 1919 floods where every bridge on the river was swept away.
Towamba remains a small service centre for the neighbouring agricultural community.
Notes and references