Town Category: Victoria
Balaclava, VictoriaSuburb of Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Balaclava is an inner suburb of Melbourne, Australia, 7 km south from Melbourne's Central Business District. Its local government area is the City of Port Phillip. At the 2016 Census, Balaclava had a population of 5,396.
Balaclava is located in the south-east of the city, in the St Kilda East area and is bounded by Inkerman Street to the north, Chapel Street to the west, Hotham Street to the east and Oak Grove and Los Angeles Court to the south. In terms of its cadastral division, Balaclava is in the parish of Prahran, within the County of Bourke
Well known television celebrity Graham Kennedy spent part of his childhood in the Balaclava area. After his death, the local council placed a commemorative plaque on the house in which he lived.
Balaclava is home to much of Melbourne's Orthodox Jewish Community, consisting of both Hasidim and non-Hasidim (Mitnagdim or Yeshivish) Jews. Within its confines are a number of kosher restaurants and shops that cater to the local and broader Melbourne Haredi communities.
Many streets in Balaclava and its vicinity are named after Crimean War battles; e.g., the Battle of Balaclava (Balaclava Road), the Battle of Inkerman (Inkerman Road), the Siege of Sevastopol (Sebastopol Street), the Battle of the Alma River (Alma Road), the Battle of the Great Redan (Redan Street) and the Battle of Malakoff (Malakoff Street).
One street, Crimea Street, is named after the war itself.
Other streets in the district are named after people connected with the Crimean War; e.g., Lord Raglan (Raglan Street), Lord Cardigan (Cardigan Street), Florence Nightingale (Nightingale Street), François Certain Canrobert (Canrobert Street) and Lord Lucan (Lucan Street).
- Caulfield Campus of Caulfield Grammar School – the suburb's largest school.
- St Colman's School Hall, Carlisle Street (1938–39) – designed to complement the church next door (now CBC St Kilda's Yr 9 Campus, previously King David School's Carlisle campus and St Kevin's College Waterford Campus).
Places of worship
There are many churches in Balaclava, with many of the modern places of worship serving the Jewish Faith, but many of the older buildings have at some point served various Christian religions.
Many of the church buildings in Balaclava are historic and heritage registered and form various religious precincts. Historic church buildings include:
- St Colman's Catholic Church, Carlisle Street (1913, designed by Watts' Sons).
- St George's Presbyterian Church, Chapel Street. Built in 1877–80 to the design of Albert Purchas. Listed on the Victorian Heritage Register.
- Holy Trinity Anglican Church, Chapel Street. Designed by Joseph Reed and built in 1878, the building is Victorian Heritage listed.
- Former Balaclava Corps Hall.
Balaclava is served by several forms of public transport.
Bus routes 216 and 219 operate along Hotham Street. The importance of these routes has declined in recent years and are subject to change in 2017.
- City of St Kilda – A former local government area of which Balaclava was a part.
No Records Found
Sorry, no records were found. Please adjust your search criteria and try again.
Google Map Not Loaded
Sorry, unable to load Google Maps API.