Town Category: Tasmania
Austins Ferry, TasmaniaSuburb of Glenorchy, Tasmania, Tasmania, Australia
Austins Ferry is named after James Austin (1776–1831), who had been transported to Port Phillip as a convict in 1803 along with his cousin John Earl, and arrived in Van Diemens Land in 1804. After their sentences expired both men were given small land grants on the western shore of the River Derwent between Hobart and New Norfolk. In 1818 they established a ferry service across the river and later a punt which proved very conveniently located for vehicular traffic travelling between Hobart and regions to the north, and became very wealthy. In 1821 the visiting Governor Lachlan Macquarie renamed the village Roseneath, but it has since reverted to its original name. James Austin's original cottage (picture on the right) is preserved as a tourist attraction. The opening hours for the cottage are limited to Sundays between 1pm and 4pm, it provides crafts and historical information.
Austins Ferry is the location of St Virgil's College.
- Australian Bureau of Statistics (27 June 2017). "Austins Ferry (State Suburb)". 2016 Census QuickStats. Retrieved 14 April 2018.
- Burgess, Georgie (13 April 2019). "Legacy of James Austin and his River Derwent ferry service still runs deep". ABC Radio Hobart. Australian Broadcasting Corporation. Retrieved 13 April 2019.
No Records Found
Sorry, no records were found. Please adjust your search criteria and try again.
Google Map Not Loaded
Sorry, unable to load Google Maps API.