The Adelaide Review is a monthly print news and arts magazine and dynamic website, founded by Christopher Pearson in 1985 in Adelaide, South Australia. As of March 2019, it was one of only two "broad-spectrum non-Murdoch print media" publications in Adelaide, the other one being SA Life.
Content and readership
According to its 2018 media kit,
- "The Adelaide Review is a monthly print magazine and dynamic website that presents a comprehensive balance of local, national and international features, reviews and opinion pieces with a particular focus on culture and social issues."
The monthly print magazine is available free at more than 700 newsagents, cafés, restaurants, bars and bookshops across Adelaide and regional centres, or can be purchased by annual subscription. Circulation of the print magazine is about 22,000 and readership 72,000. Its target demographic is "tertiary educated professionals who have disposable income and are interested in culture and the arts" and its top interests are listed as the arts, food, cinema, events, travel, news and opinion.
From April 2015 it has been published by Adelaide-based Opinion Media, which also owned Rip it Up until it ceased publication in 2016. OM is owned by Intertrade Global, in turn owned by EPI Communications. As of March 2019, Intertrade is owned by Euro-Pacific Holdings. In 2009, the AR was reported to have been owned by Spanish publisher Javier Moll.
In the year April 2003–March 2004, CAB-audited average monthly circulation was 38,642. In the period 2004-07, the print magazine was usually published fortnightly. In April–September 2013 its monthly circulation was 20,058.
- Owen, Michael (June 9, 2013). Respected journalist Christopher Pearson dies in Adelaide The Australian. Retrieved June 9, 2013.
- Michael Jacobs, Adelaide liable to lose voices Archived February 27, 2011, at the Wayback Machine, The Adelaide Review Archives. Retrieved 2 Aug 2010.
- Richard Aedy, A Paper of Record Archived 13 November 2009 at the Wayback Machine, 31 March 2005, The Media Report, Radio National transcript, abc.net.au. Retrieved 2 Aug 2010. NOTE: Rip it up ceased publication in 2016.
- "The Adelaide Review Media Kit (2018)" (PDF). Retrieved 30 March 2019. Cite journal requires
- "Opinion Media launch". Adelaide Review. 1 May 2015. Retrieved 30 March 2019. Cite journal requires
- Meredith Booth, Spaniard's $2.4 million loss, 26 February 2007, The Advertiser. Retrieved 2 Aug 2010.
- "Global Intertrade Property Management Pty Ltd". Hoovers.com. Retrieved 30 March 2019.
- Booth, Meredith (25 March 2009). "The Adelaide Review's losses mount". The Advertiser. Retrieved 30 March 2019. Note: It is not clear whether Moll still owns one of these companies.
- The Adelaide Review Archived 2 December 2008 at the Wayback Machine, The Media Report, 18 February 1999, Radio National transcript, www.abc.net.au. Retrieved 2 Aug 2010.
- Advertising in The Adelaide Review Archived March 7, 2011, at the Wayback Machine, August 2004, The Adelaide Review Archives. Retrieved 2 Aug 2010.
- "Adelaide Review media kit 2015 (dead url)" (PDF). Archived from the original (PDF) on 29 October 2015. Retrieved 1 August 2015.