Sellicks Beach is a suburb in the Australian state of South Australia located within Adelaide metropolitan area about 47 kilometres (29 mi) from the Adelaide city centre. It is an outer southern suburb of Adelaide and is located in the local government area of the City of Onkaparinga at the southern boundary of the metropolitan area.
The suburb consists of land bounded in the north by Button Road, in the east by the Main South Road, to the south by the boundary of the cadastral unit of the Hundred of Willunga and to the west by the coastline with Aldinga Bay.
It began in 1925 as a sub-division of part of section 665 of the cadastral unit of the Hundred of Willunga called “Sellicks Beach Estate” which was developed by George Herrick and Robert Herrick, two farmers who lived at Aldinga. Sellicks Beach was gazetted as a place on 28 October 1993.
There are housing development projects being undertaken in Sellicks Beach. There is a post office, delicatessen and a wholesale nursery. Sellicks Beach is also close to Aldinga Beach, a 10-minute drive, which has two petrol stations, two supermarkets, bakery, doctors surgery, two chemists and other various shops. Driving on the beach is permitted free of charge for residents while non-residents are charged a small fee.
Organised motorcycle racing on the beach was held as early as 1917 with annual speed trials being held during summer until 1953 and with re-enactments in both 1986 and 1992. Annual racing resumed in 2017 after a 20 year period of no activity.
Notes and references
- "Search results for 'Sellicks Beach, SUB' with the following datasets selected - 'Suburbs and localities', 'Counties', 'Hundreds', 'Local Government Areas', 'SA Government Regions' and 'Gazetteer'". Location SA Map Viewer. South Australian Government. Retrieved 2 October 2019.
- Australian Bureau of Statistics (27 June 2017). "Sellicks Beach (State Suburb)". 2016 Census QuickStats.
- Manning, Geoffrey. "South Australian Names - S" (PDF). Manning Index of South Australian History. State Library of South Australia. Retrieved 26 September 2019.
- "(postcode for) Sellicks Beach, South Australia". Postcodes Australia. Retrieved 10 October 2019.
- "Southern Adelaide SA Government region" (PDF). The Government of South Australia. Retrieved 17 April 2017.
- "Search result for "County of Adelaide, CNTY" with the following data sets selected - "Counties" and "Local Government Areas"". Property Location SA Map Viewer. Government of South Australia. Retrieved 24 April 2017.
- "2014 State election boundaries". ELECTORAL COMMISSION SA. Retrieved 17 October 2014.
- "Profile of the electoral division of Mayo (SA)". Australian Electoral Commission. Retrieved 26 September 2019.
- "Summary (climate) statistics Myponga (nearest weather station)". Commonwealth of Australia, Bureau of Meteorology. Retrieved 2 October 2019.
- "City of Onkaparinga suburb boundaries map". City of Onkaparinga. 9 January 2014. Archived from the original on 24 September 2015. Retrieved 8 October 2014.
- "Metropolitan Adelaide Boundary". The Government of South Australia. Archived from the original on 10 April 2013. Retrieved 9 July 2015.
- "Sellick Beach Estate". News. IV (515). South Australia. 18 March 1925. p. 9 (HOME EDITION). Retrieved 2 October 2019 – via National Library of Australia.
- Kentish, P.M. (28 October 1993). "Geographical Names Act, 1991; Notice of Declaration of Names of Places" (PDF). The South Australian Government Gazette. Government of South Australia. p. 2110. Retrieved 10 October 2019.
- "Vehicles on beaches". City of Onkaparinga. Archived from the original on 20 October 2014. Retrieved 16 October 2014.
- "SELLICK'S BEACH SPEED TRIALS". The Mail (Adelaide). South Australia. 13 October 1917. p. 14. Retrieved 25 February 2020 – via Trove.
- Spence, Andrew (9 June 2016). "Beach motorcycle racing to return to Sellicks". In Daily. Retrieved 25 February 2020.