The suburb of Kilkenny was created by subdivision of section 388 of the Hundred of Yatala in 1849 and was known as the Township of Kilkenny. Section 388 was bounded on its north east by Torrens Road, indicating the historic township occupied only the southern half of the present suburb. The present-day boundaries of Kilkenny include the former suburb of Challa Gardens, created by subdivision of section 411E of the same hundred in 1950, which was also known as Woodville East and Kilkenny North prior to the 1950 subdivision.
The age distribution of Kilkenny residents is similar to that of the greater Australian population. 70.9% of residents were over 24 years in 2016, compared to the Australian average of 68.5%; and 28.1% were younger than 24 years, compared to the Australian average of 31.5%.
In terms of religious affiliation, 26.8% of residents identified as not religious, 24.8% identified as Catholic, 9.6% identified as Eastern Orthodox, and 4.7% identified as Buddhist. Within Kilkenny, 90.6% of the residents were employed, with the remaining 9.4% being unemployed.
State and federal
Kilkenny lies in the state electoral district of Croydon  and the federal electoral division of Adelaide. The suburb is represented in the South Australian House of Assembly by leader of the South Australian opposition, Labor member Peter Malinauskas (Croydon), and federally by Steve Georganas.
The local newspaper is the Weekly Times Messenger in the past this paper used to be delivered by hand, but now it's more easily accessed on-line. Other regional and national newspapers such as The Advertiser and The Australian are also available.
Community and Arts
There is a very active community arts scene in Kilkenny, pursued strongly through local arts community group Kilkenny Gorilla Art".
Facilities and attractions
Shopping and dining
Near the edge of Kilkenny, on Kilkenny road is the Spanish Club of SA, catering to the Spanish of South Australia. 
- "2016 ABS census data".
- "Place Names of South Australia". The Manning Index of South Australian History. State Library of South Australia. Retrieved 2 February 2012.
- "Kilkenny, South Australia (Adelaide)". Postcodes-Australia. Postcodes-Australia.com. Retrieved 2 February 2012.
- "City of Charles Sturt Wards and Council Members" (PDF). City of Charles Sturt. Archived from the original (PDF) on 5 August 2011. Retrieved 2 February 2012.
- "Electoral Districts - Electoral District for the 2010 Election". Electoral Commission SA. Archived from the original on 22 August 2011. Retrieved 2 February 2012.
- Manning, Geoffrey. "Challa Gardens". Manning Index of South Australian Place Names. State Library of South Australia. Retrieved 16 August 2017.
- Adelaide and surrounds street directory (49th ed.). UBD. 2011. ISBN 978-0-7319-2652-7.
- "Find my electorate: Adelaide". Australian Electoral Commission. Retrieved 13 September 2019.
- "South Australian Newspapers". Newspapers.com.au. Australia G'day. Archived from the original on 29 April 2011. Retrieved 2 February 2012.
- "Australian Schools Directory". Australian Schools Directory. Retrieved 2 February 2012.
- "Spanish Club of SA Inc". Government of South Australia. Retrieved 13 September 2019.
- "Public Transport in Adelaide". Adelaide Metro official website. Dept. for Transport, Energy and Infrastructure, Public Transport Division. Archived from the original on 26 April 2011. Retrieved 2 February 2012.
- "City of Charles Sturt". Official website. City of Charles Sturt. Retrieved 2 February 2012.